top of page


Updated: May 24, 2021

The Hell Gate Brewery was established by George Ehret in the year 1866 and was located between 92nd and 93rd street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenue.

The Hell Gate Brewery opened in 1866 and closed in 1927. This building is no longer standing.

The site selected by Mr. George Ehret for his brewery was at that time a very rural area. It was opposite a dangerous passage in the East river, which had been designated "Hell Gate" which is why Ehret chose the name for his brewery.

The main building had a beautiful clock tower fronted on Ninety-third street, extending southward to a considerable depth and mounted with an American flag. During demolition the developer Frederick DeMatteis decided to salvage the clock tower from the old Ehret brewery and had a crane take it down for use in a park on the land. But vandals destroyed it, removing the last evidence of the complex from the streets that had once smelled of beer.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page