GESÙ is the name "Jesus" in Italian. The Gesu Church is the oldest Roman Catholic church in Miami, Florida. It is located at 118 Northeast 2nd Street.
The Holy Name Parish (now Gesu) was organized in 1896. The new church was constructed in 1897 on land donated by Henry Flagler. As Miami's population and the Holy Name congregation expanded, the need for a larger church became evident. A cornerstone was subsequently laid on December 10, 1920, on the site of the earlier church, and the new building was dedicated in 1925.
On July 18, 1974, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. 120 years later, there is a piece of the Miami Skyline in the background.